Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 9

Yesterday in the morning I spent most of my time labelling bones on the hill and putting them in the book. Today my entire morning consisted of mapping the bones that we labelled yesterday. We set up the total station (surveying equipment) which gives the bones a 3-D place in the quarry and can be mapped as such. We then took measurments from 2 stakes and found drew them into a map of the quarry. I really enjoy doing this part.


In the afternoon I finally got to learn how to jacket. We took burlap sacks, papertowels, and plaster and went up to BS to plaster a bone. We wrapped it in wet papertowel, then drenched the burlap in Hydrocal (plaster) and basically paper mached it in.

We spent the rest of our time mapping WBS and trying to not break anything. You almost can put a brush in the ground and not find bone. I broke at least three today just by trying to move out of someones way. The bones are everywhere and fragile. I basically feel that the quarry will be half glue by the time we are done with it.

Tomorrow there are 4 dig for a day families, so all of us will be with one. I am happy to have had two days without the families. Tomorrow afternoon, I may skip the tour and move right into the lab.

I am leaving to go watch Toy Story 3 in the local theatre with co-workers. I can not believe that I only have a week left of this. I am almost sure I will come back.

No comments: