Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 3

Today we went back to the dig site WBS (west beside the sauropod) and continued to expose the bones and try to pedestal them. The morning was very nice, no WIND! The sun was not too bad and we found a few more bones on site.
In the afternoon we needed to map the new bones, and I was able to use techniques I learned in college on surveying equipment and with a Brunton. We were able to take the position, as well as the 3-D position in the quarry of the bones. We then hand mapped the bones and were they sat. As the afternoon wore on, I was sweeping my site and broke off a peice of unidentified bone. I was very lucky that I didn't shatter the bone and the matrix around it. I was able to break it cleanly from the pile. This is an easy fix; I wrapped the bone up and took it to the lab.
My time here is well spent and I feel like I am in a great spot to learn about Paleo. My legs are sufficiently sunburned after two straight days on the hill. Right above my knees are the worst. Last night I played soccer with the employees and interns and was able to get to know them better. They are a great bunch of people and bigger nerds than I am! Also, last night at the campsite there was a Peruvian bluegrass band that played. Muy bueno!

No comments: