Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 6- Dig for a day 2

Today there were only three people at the center. Most of the full time staff went down the road to a site called "jimbo" where they are digging up a superasaurus. Nick, Amanda, and I stayed behind hoping to jacket a dino bone and get it out of the ground. We started the day and found out that there was a "dig for a day" scheduled, meaning there was a family of 5 that wanted to dig on the hill, tour the museum and get to see the lab.
We all started together and Nick decided to lead the DFD. Amanda and I worked on jacketting the fossil.

We started to work on the fossil but it was truly fragile. We were able to clear some of the rock from out below it, but kept having the fossil material crumble with the rock. We continued to glue and glue the fossil, but we never got the jacket on. The weather was beautiful.
After lunch, we went to the Sundance formation to look for marine fossils. Amanda worked in the lab. I found some clam remnents. Then it was time for lab work and the tour. We worked in the lab for an hour and then began to tour. The family was incredibly interested in everything we did. Thay asked all sorts of questions and the adults as well as the kids were eating up all the info we could give them. It was fun. At the end of the tour, it was 5:30. We are usually suppose to finish DFDs by 4:00 and clock out by 5. The family stayed in the gift shop until the musuem closed at 6 and the gift shop lady tried to get us to push them out the door. They were a great group(and tipped!) and it was fun to have a captive audience. They told us what wonderful educators Nick and I were. It has been extrememly warm the last couple of days and tonight I am planning on crashing hard. This week we should jacket to fossils in the field, and I should get some lab time to work with cleaning up fossils. Next week I will have to try and get certifide. This is still a dream. I can't believe I am able to handle bones each day and that the musuem is letting me use my knowledge of the Earth to pass along to others. It truly is a special experience.

No comments: