Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Our first Amtrak

The morning of our departure, Bob and Kathy decided to take Marie and I out to Valley Forge to see where Washington's troops wintered. We drove out the nice country side and received a great commentary from our drivers again. We did stop briefly by the place which was taken over as Washington's headquarters and Marie and I walked through quickly. We then drove into Philly to catch our train. We hugged our goodbyes outside the station and Marie and I boarded to go to Pittsburgh.

We arrived in Pittsburgh that night and were met at the station by Marie's aunt Katie. Katie is the reverend mother at a Franciscan monastery in the Ohio hills near Stuebenville. She and about 20 other sisters live, work and pray in a beautiful field of grass surrounded by tress and a creek. Katie took us to our hermitages, where each Marie and I were to stay. Each of us had basically our own personal cabin equip with a stove, toaster, shower, fridge, etc. It was quick relaxing and gave Marie and I each a bit of personal time. I made myself some tea and toast and I read much of my book before I fell asleep.

No comments: