Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chicken

I have not helped butcher chicken for a long time.   My uncle each year raises around 100 chicken and keeps 30 or so through the winter.  As a child, I learned a lot of my anatomy through watching my family butcher turkeys, chickens, deer, cattle, etc.  I was able to identify lung matter, livers, hearts and intestines before kindergarten.  Today we butchered about 15 chickens.  I helped pick feathers and clean the chicken before we stuck it in the freezer.  I was then asked to clean a couple of wash tubs.  

The tubs used to cool down the chicken before it is put in the freezer.  They are full of clean water and chicken that have been dressed and cut up are put there.  After a while they are placed in bags and put in the freezer.  

I have always just rinsed the tubs out and put them back where we get them from.  Sometimes we use a little soap.  This time, my aunt Jerri noticed there were quite a few spots on the tub.  We then began to scrub the tubs and found the sides of the tub were coated in layers upon layers of soap and old chicken fat.  I do not know when the last time these were scrubbed, but I worked on one tub for over an hour and was still not done.  

We ate a delicious dinner and then moved equipment to see if we could harvest.  Right now, the crew is in the field and the first wheat is cutting at about 13% moisture.  It is time to harvest and get the wheat out of the field. In the next few days, I will help out when needed, but I think I probably won't see much of my father for the rest of the trip.  Wish us a fruitful harvest.  

No comments: