Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fishin'

Ryan told me earlier this summer that he would like to try and fish in Glacier.  You don't need to buy a license, so why not.  We grabbed 3 poles from my house, which haven't been used for at least (emphasis on least) 9 years.  We drove to Swiftcurrent lake and Many Glacier lodge.  Rachael worked a season there when she was 19.  We walked through the lodge and looked in the gift shop.  

We then grabbed the poles and walked a mile into Lake Josephine and found a little inlet on the South west shore.  Rachael brought a chair and books to relax in while Ryan and I fought with the poles.  We strung the poles within a half hour which shocked me.  Ryan loaded a pole with a hook and bobber and cast it.  He then set it near Rachael and told her to watch it.  Ryan and I then played with all the lures that were in the tackle box.  

Since we were fishin' at noon in the heat of the day on a rocky shore with little shade, Ryan and I knew there was little hope for any catch.  We had a tremendous amount of fun anyway.  After losing one lure under a rock, Ryan and I moved to a small pond behind our inlet and cast into the water for 15-20 minutes.  Hikers would hike by above us and comment to each other , thinking they were out of ear shot, about how stupid we were.  I even commented back to a couple that stopped and stared for a while.  Eventually Ryan and I put bobbers and hooks on our poles and sat down to read as well.  At around 1:30 we decided to go back to the parking lot for lunch.  We made sandwiches and ate in the shade.  We then headed to St. Mary for a restaurant that served pie.  Rachael told me it was the best pie on this side of the park.  

We walked in and put our name on the 20 minute waiting list, and then went into the gift shop.  I bought some stickers and found my way into the restaurant.  We sat down and ordered different types of berry pies.  It was delicious and the atmosphere was good.  The counter at the front where we sat had an open view to the kitchen where twenty-somethings hustled around making the orders and chatting.  You could tell they were having fun and enjoying their summer near the park.  

We then went back to camp and napped.  I was sore from the hike yesterday and the rest was great.  We cooked chili that night.  Ryan and I ate the last of the beer sausage and made chili dogs.  We then discussed plans tomorrow.  Ryan and I thought we might try to summit a peak near Logan's pass and so we were going to do the Going-to-the-Sun Highway.  I slept like a brick again.  

No comments: