Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 2



As teachers we are used to a fairly early start to our day, but give the teachers a little taste of summer, and we will milk it for all it is worth. We ate breakfast around 10 am the next morning and created a plan for the day. Ryan and I filled water bottles as Marie and Carolyn packed the lunch and we were ready to look for Moon Point trail. We started at noon and hiked out to the highway and along it to where our map showed a trail, but all we found was a forest service road. Marie had thought she saw online that the trail started from a campground farther along the highway so we hiked on. At secret campground we found a nice sandy beach along the river. We ate peanut butter, jelly and tortillas for lunch then entertained ourselves with naps, reading, and retrieving old and lost fishing gear from the beach and trees. Ryan showed his survivorman capabilities and was able to attach hook, line, sinker and bobber to a willow pole. Unfortunately with only 3 feet of line, it is hard to snag any trout.

We hiked along the highway down past campers flat campground and found the trail that led back to camp. We hiked the 5 miles back to camp quietly and with a certain drive to get back before the bugs came. We got back at about 5:30 and went about relaxing. I went to sit by the water and take in the loveliness of being done with a year of school. As Marie came down to join me, my camera slipped out of my pocket, bounced a couple of times and landed, , in the drink. I tried with a stick to retrieve it but ultimately I had to jump in to water that was about 35 degrees and bellybutton high. Needless to say, I don't have pictures to post.
To get my mind off the wet camera, Ryan and I played yahtzee as Carolyn and Marie read. Maybe it was karma for losing a camera, or maybe it was just luck, but I rolled 3 yahtzees in
one game and scored 466. I have never seen a game quite like it.

We then ate a great dinner of Red beans and rice and had pudding for dessert. We played a few more games of yahtzee in the tent to avoid the bugs and Marie and I tied with a score of 221 for the last game of the night.

This is the last photo my camera took. It then slid into the water. :(

No comments: