Monday, August 10, 2009

My Summer July 1-8

I left Oregon on the first of July and drove that night to Moscow Idaho to visit my friends Nick and Melissa and their new baby Henry.

It was a fun visit and chat with friends. The next day I drove to Montana. The first few days at home, I had a goal to work on family history and genealogy. I found photos and memoirs in my grandparents trunk. I worked for many hours putting together stories and photographs and updating my family tree online. A few mothers died in childbirth, great uncles were killed from Scarlett Fever, Tuberculosis, etc. Lots of children being passed around to siblings after parents died young. I was able to trace my Mom's side back to Ireland and the 1818 but no further. More time is needed.

While home I witnessed a wicked lightening storm that lasted about 45 minutes and saw some friends, as well as celebrated with neighbors their farms 100 year anniversary. We also went hiking with a neighbor who had found a dinosaur bone on her property. We spend about an hour near the spot where she found it, but came home empty handed. I left the night of the 7th of July and drove down to Butte for the National Folk Festival and a family reunion.


The Family reunion was strange in the fact that I was the oldest cousin there. On a side of the family that has 19 first cousins, I am right in the middle, but am usually on the younger side of the reunions. It was fun to hang out with my younger cousins and my aunts and uncles as well. There were stories shared, with lots of laughter and support given. I love my family, I really do.

2 comments:

Anna Gradek said...

AWESOME lightning picture! Love it!

Rose said...

nice photos!