Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beads.....and possibly another night


Wednesday Marie and I drove out to the industry part of the city for our last volunteer day. We signed up to help recycle Mardi Gras Beads. We worked with Arc employees to sort the beads. The beads were from pick up points around the city. People donate beads and trinkets associated with Mardi Gras at many spots around the city.

We then sorted them into piles and put alike beads into 30lb bags and put them on palettes.

We worked with others for six hours. Terrance, the man I was working with, became my "best friend" that day. It was a fun experience, and I am glad we did it.


We then returned to our hotel and took well deserved nap. We returned our rental car and realized we forgot to fill it up with gasoline. Whoops. It will cost us $5.99 a gallon to fill it. We then went out for drinks and appetizers. When we returned to our hotel we found out our flight was cancelled for tomorrow. We have been rerouted to Washington DC on Friday instead of Denver on Thursday. Marie and I are currently both on hold with Customer service. We are trying to get standby to DC tomorrow so I can stay with my brother, instead of paying for another night at a hotel. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

Anna Gradek said...

I've always wondered what they do with all those beads! Did they say what they would make them into or do they just keep them and resell them at next year's Mardi Gras? :)

Cory said...

They re-sell them to organizations.