Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Obama Obama

Marie and I drove to Corvallis after school on Tuesday to watch the election results with our friends. We were in a house with fellow teachers and watched the Daily Show/Colbert Reports live coverage on Comedy Central. A giant cheer went up when they called it for Obama, then we switched it over to NBC to be sure it was legit.

It was a fun crowd. I remember in 2004 sitting at the dining center at OSU with my co-workers and having tears stream down our faces as we watched not only the president slip away but many ballot measures in many states that banned homosexual marriage.

This year was different. Instead of tears, there were cheers. We drank champaigne and watched with bated breath as Obama delivered his speech. There were children present: a baby, a toddler, and two elementary aged students. We told them how historic the night was and how exciting it is(for us) at what had happened.

We also had a weird 4-degrees of seperation from Obama tonight. Michelle Obama's brother, Craig, is the new basketball coach at OSU. His children go to school at the local public high school and there were teachers at the party tonight. So...1. Dave (teacher at CVHS) has 2. Criag's son in class...who 3. stood next to Obama on stage tonight in Chicago. We all felt a little closer!

I did not tear up tonight until the drive back. As I was driving listening to NPR, I imagined Obama as our leader and meeting with foreign heads of states. Instead of it being a hope, it was now a reality. I imagine his input at the G8 summit, where I can only think about the atrocities that BUSH and other Money hungry leaders must have come up with. Obama I truly believe will think about the little guy and the little nations.

Thank you to all who have donated time, money, energy, and prayers to the election season. It was hard fought and long deserving. I know I have goosebumps and have had them for most of the night.

God Bless America.

1 comment:

Emily said...

So my 6 year old niece voted in kindergarten today. She voted for ROCK Bama because he has a cool name. (She's a rocker through and through.)

Cory, there are huge freaking moose here. And no one recycles and it pisses me off!