Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Open Mic

In my local town of 1000 people there is a little wine and cheese shop that does live music Friday and Saturday nights. They fill the house with fun blues and folk music.
They just recently began open mic nights on Wednesdays. I went the first week and it seemed there were only three artists that night, myself included. I played three tame comedy songs, two of which I wrote and the crowd (10? people) asked for one more. I looked at the owner and she seemed okay with pushing the line a little. I played a fourth song, but as I saw the owner's face turn red, I knew my time was up.


I came back this week at the request of some friends and when I walked in, the owner was gone and only the wine pourer, a server and the open mic host were there. Marie, myself and one friend were the only others there. The gentlemen asked me to play my more questionable tunes, so I obliged. I played 5 songs, of all levels of rudeness and then finished with the Last Saskatchewan Pirate. As I finished a couple with homemade wooden flutes and a conga drum showed up. They were very fun to listen to. I feel bad that the open mic nights are not better attended, but then again I can play some dirty songs that I wrote.

My set list for next week:
Amurika (my song about our great country)
Rippy the Gator (Arrogant Worms)
Carrot Juice is Murder (Arrogant Worms)
Coffee Shop love song (AKA bavarian creme donut)
Rock Hair Song (the true story of my hair)

No comments: