Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer 2011 - LA



My summer began early as I took some time off of work and left June 17 for LA. I arrived via airplane and took the bus into Hollywood. I was picked up by my buddy John and was taken to his work to meet his co-workers, and eat some of his delicious catered lunch. I was able to regain some energy and play on some ipads. John drove me to his house and I met up with some old college friends and was able to take a shower. John had a standup show at the Improv. We all attended and watched 7 comics. John did well and held his own against some professionals. The next day, we took it easy at the house and then John took me to the theatre to see Green Lantern in 3D. I enjoyed it. John also had another standup show in east LA that night. We drove out, all got uncomfortably full at Red Robin and went to the show. For a "Bar Show" I guess it was a good show. The comediens were terrible, but they weren't paid. John was in the top two for the night easy. His set was good. We went back to the house and relaxed again for the evening.
On Sunday, we went out for breakfast, and then John and I took two French girls, who are interns at his office, to thier first baseball game.

I had never been to Dodger stadium and was excited for a Father's day baseball game. I was able to see Tony Gwynn and Tom Gordan throw out the first pitches. The game was uneventful and the 7th inning stretch confused our guests greatly. We got to see a homerun in the 8th for the only run of the game and then we drove the girls back to Hollywood. Sunday night, we went to the planetarium and were able to see a great show about the history of astronomy and what we are still learning.
Monday John took the day off work, and we went to Disneyland for 12 hours. It was great. We did califonia Adventure and Disneyland. Highlights included the world of color and the new Startours. The startours was the best 3D I have ever seen. Crazy good.
Tuesday, John went back to work, but I was able to walk to the La Brea Tar pits from his house.
I spent 3 hours walking around and chatting with people. My friend Amber from highschool picked me up and drove me to Venice beach to walk around. We hadn't seen each other for 9 years and it was great to catch up. She also took me to her house to meet her dog and see her awesome backyard. Amber then drove me to Hollywood, where I met with another high school firend, Sara for happy hour drinks. John joined us, as well as a few of her friends and we spent the night out in hollywood.
Wednesday was my last day. I had john drop me off at Hollywood so I could walk around and then would walk up to his work for him to drive me to hte airport. Hollywood is dissapointing. There are the stars in the sidewalk and there was the Chinese theatre, but there wasn't much else to look at. I felt like it was the midwest version of Hollywood, kind of a trailer park 'merica type attraction. I wish it was a little more glamorous. I then started walking toward John's work and found that the sidewalk ran out most of the way there. I found myself walking along the slope of desert brush trying to avoid the "interstate" traffic to my left. As I walked off the off ramp, I was sweaty, dusty, and felt disgusting. I walked to John's work and everyone was curious what happened to me. I looked like I was rolled in dust after I was sprayed by a hose.
I was able to stay for lunch, and was able to change my shirt before John drove me back to the airport. It was a fast trip, but I saw everything I wanted to!

No comments: